- You have Ubuntu 8.04 running. (Though it should work with 7.10 as well. But I haven’t tried it.)
- You have installed CCSM. Check under System ->Preferences if Advanced Desktop Effect Setting is there.
- For better results you have Avant Window Navigator installed. (Else you won’t be able to use any shortcut on your desktop.)
If you have set up all that then it should be pretty easy for you. Just follow the following steps:
- Go under System> Preferences > Advanced Desktop Settings
- Select Desktop Cube >Appearance > Background images
- Click New under background images and add all the images you want as background.
- Alt + F2 to launch the Run Terminal.
- Enter gconf-editor and hit Run.
- Go under apps > nautilus > preference
- Deselect ‘Show Desktop’.
That’s it. You are all set. Check all the workspaces. You should have the images you selected as wallpapers on these. Cool…
You will notice that you can’t right-click on the desktop and all your existing desktop shortcuts are gone. But don’t worry they are not gone. You will have to go under Places > Desktop to see all the thing you kept on original desktop. Going forward if you save something on desktop they will also appear on that location only. This is one thing you will have to sacrifice if you want to have different wallpapers on each workspace.
But hold on…there is a good news for you if you enabled Avant Window Navigator, then all your shortcuts should be there. Enjoy different wallpapers on all your workspaces. Did you like it?
I would like to see your screenshot with all the workspaces as I have shown here. Or if any other customization you did to achieve better results, drop a comment here so that others also can learn from you.
Keep reading Technomania for more tips and tricks on Ubuntu, Linux and Open source community updates. You can subscribe to the feed or receive email as and when I update anything on this blog.