That’s why I thought of providing the steps to install Google Earth on your Ubuntu or any other linux machine for that matter. Steps are as follows:
- Download Google Earth to your desktop.
- Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
- Type in cd ~/Desktop
- Type in sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
- Follow the on screen prompts to complete the installation.
- You will see Google Earth icon on your desktop after the installation is complete.
- At the same time it will also give you an option to launch it for the first time after the installation is complete.
- Google Earth should have been installed in the default location “/usr/local/Google/Google-earth“.
- That’s it. Enjoy the cool Google Earth features.
TIP: By the way, you might have already guessed the trick. To install any software on Ubuntu with a *.bin extension you can do the same to install it. Just browse to the directory, at the terminal type sh *.bin. Your software should be installed properly.
Keep reading Technomania for more tips and tricks on Ubuntu, Linux and Open source community updates. You can subscribe to the feed or receive email as and when I update anything on this blog.